Ampcontrol delivers integrated electrical, electronic and control solutions to improve safety and efficiency in mining, renewable, infrastructure and industrial applications.
What sets us apart is our ability to engineer unique solutions that deliver on both performance and reliability. To achieve this, we work in partnership with our customers, lending our electrical engineering expertise to their operational challenges. From the most complex electrical infrastructure to the most hazardous industrial environments, we devise solutions which focus on whole of life optimisation.
Drawing on the multi-disciplined technical resources within our business, we step outside the conventions of traditional problem solving, and seek new ways to improve electrical infrastructure design through smart electronics, intelligent data gathering; and operational networking and control. We then back this up with inhouse manufacturing, commissioning, electrical engineering and maintenance support teams.
Products and Services
Ampcontrol is focussed on delivering solutions built on the core competencies where we have substantial experience gained over our proud privately owned and operated 49 year history.
- Power infrastructure – power distribution solutions including unique transportable, kiosk and containerised substations for HV and MV infrastructure.
Including transformers, HV cables, high voltage switchyards and grid connections, relocatable and modular switchrooms, Emergency relocatable substations, jumbo boxes and complete underground flameproof and non-flame proof electrical systems.
Ampcontrol has designed and supplied complete mine electrics from ‘pit top to pit bottom’ across metalliferous, quarries and coal mining.
We also design and manufacture complete DC rectifier packages for high current applications for traction and industrial process systems.
- Renewable Infrastructure - Ampcontrol work across utility or industrial scale solar farms, photovoltaic and thermal solar projects, remote area power systems, micro-grids, containerised solar storage systems. Systems include Solar Power, remote area solar, Solar/hybrid solutions, storage solutions and wind power electrical and communications infrastructure.
- Electrical Safety and Protection – Ampcontrol is at the forefront of electrical protection with over 40 years’ experience in the design and manufacture of integrated protection and monitoring control relays from single function earth leakage relays such as the ELD, through to integrated protection functionality provided by the IPX relay. Ampcontrol R&D developed, designed and manufactured leading edge compliant relays for the market.
- High Voltage Service and Maintenance – we have specialist technicians working across Australia, based at our service centres in Mackay, Emerald, Moranbah to keep your plant in optimum condition.
From field service and testing of HV Substations, Transformers, HV motors, HV generators, switchgear and cables along with commissioning and testing.
- Communications, control and connectivity – communications and monitoring and control systems provide safe, reliable data integrity in hazardous and non-hazardous environments, covering:
- VoiceCom and telephone communications
- Conveyor solutions including conveyor monitoring, signalling and control and SIL systems
- Pre start warning systems
- Distributed I/O
- Lock outs/remote isolation
- Integrated monitoring and control system (iMAC)
- Plug and Connect fibre optic systems (H3RO) www.h3ro.com
- Containerised Data centres and complete communications systems
- PON and GPON passive optical network design and supply
- Transformers - We are specialist transformer designers and manufacturers. Our quality designs cover dry and oil type transformers. We also provide ongoing support with whole of life asset management, oil laboratory analysis, onsite service and testing and repair and overhaul.Overhauls and upgrades are availalbe at our facilities in Mackay, Qld and Tomago, NSW.Overhaul and upgrade of oil-filled to Ester Oil filled transformers, reducing fire risk.NATA transformer oil laboratory services in house along with database management and analysis built up over 40 years of testing.
- Asset management – Ampcontrol can provide complete asset management solutions with service and maintenance for complete onsite and after sales support including field service, overhauls and upgrades, design, auditing, testing and analysis, cable relocation, repair, system integration, specialist labour support and training and hire services.
ISMP – Safety management plans for your high voltage asset management developed and implemented
- Emergency support – Ampcontrol operate 24hrs a day and has millions of dollars worth of electrical equipment, stored and readily available, for your project or operation.
- Power quality - We design, manufacture, install and asset manage a wide range of power quality solutions including LV/MV power factor correction (PFC), voltage optimisation, harmonic filtering and energy audits.
- Automation and networking - Ampcontrol provides complete, integrated, end to end automated control systems. Our automation systems encompass:
- Automation and process control
- Information technology
- Networking architecture
- MES and software solutions
- Electrical instrumentation solutions
- PLC, telemetry and SCADA solutions
- Web based interface monitoring
- Real time and historical event reporting
- Plug and Connect fibre optic systems (H3RO) and PON solutions
- Environment management - Our highly reliable Gasguard and Dieselguard ranges are specifically designed for use in underground and hazardous industry environments and are widely used in Australia as well as New Zealand, China and South Africa.
Gas sensing also extends to hospitals, laboratory environments and underground carparks.Furthermore, through our partnership with Adasa, Ampcontrol has broadened its capabilities in environment monitoring to now include water quality. Coupling Adasa’s leading instrumentation with Ampcontrol’s system integration capabilities, we offer solutions in hydrology, water treatment, information systems and automation and control systems. With complete access to Ampcontrol’s fully integrated internal supply chain, this range of solutions is available across Mining, Industrial, and Aqua Culture applications.
Environmental air and dust quality monitoring with containerised solutions.
Occupational Hygienist for dust, asbestos analysis and monitoring along with audit services.
- Lighting - Ampcontrol’s provides lighting products that are specifically designed and manufactured for use in adverse environments via our Burn Brite business. Our extensive product range includes mine lighting systems for hazardous and non-hazardous applications, industrial and portable lights.
- Mechanical Testing Services – Rotating plant analysis and testing.
Turbine and fan balancing, rotating plant asset management.
At Ampcontrol we understand that each application is unique and specialise in providing integrated solutions for complex environments, utilising one or more of our core competencies to deliver customised solutions.
Our Firm's approach
Ampcontrol’s focus is to deliver fully integrated system solutions to meet our customers’ power and control requirements. This may include:
- Engineering design and consulatancy
- Manufacturing, construction and project management
- Installation, commissioning, asset management and repair / overhaul services
Significant in-house R&D and an extensive product portfolio help to underpin our solutions together with products sourced from world leading supply partners.
Mr Don Beveridge – General Manager Northern Operations
Mr Brent McDowell – Operations Manager
Mr Stephen Dodd – Engineering Manager
Mr Peter Morrissey – Business Development Manager – Northern Operations
- High voltage substation design services
- R&D design services
- NATA Oil testing laboratory
- High Voltage testing facility
- Mechanical and Electrical Testing services
- Occupational Hygiene
- Transformer manufacture including AC and DC rectiformer
- Communications system design
Training and Skills
At Ampcontrol, our-multi-disciplined teams consist of individuals who excel within their fields and are passionate about what they do.
- AS3800 workshops and overhaul facilities, engineers and tradepersons can audit, upgrade and rebuild your flameproof equipment to specification
- High Voltage testing across Electrical substations and switchyards, transformers, motors, generators and switchgear
- AS3800 cable repairs along with supply installation and commissioning
Australian owned and operated, Ampcontrol has the scale and experience to provide solutions to and support for large and complex projects. With over 800 employees worldwide, the company has operations in Australia, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The twelve locations across Australia provide comprehensive design manufacturing, service and support capability; the majority of Ampcontrol sites are equipped with workshop and technical capacity.
With our research and design background we can work with clients to solve issues that are unique to a particular operation or business.
Leading Projects Complete and Major Clients
Ampcontrol works with market leaders across a number of industries in Australia as well as globally. Ampcontrol prides itself on delivering the most efficient, innovative and cost-effective solutions to our customers. The high calibre of clients and the high levels of repeat business we enjoy are reflective of the value we bring to our customers. Key clients span a diverse range of industries including Glencore, BHP Billiton, Sandvik and Joy Global across mining, energy suppliers such as AGL and Ausgrid, leading infrastructure organisations like Lend Lease, Downer and Queensland Rail and industrial clients including Woolworths and Cement Australia.
Some key projects include:
- COAL - Ampcontrol are market leaders in delivering longwall electrical systems, including all electrical switchgear, control and protection through the design and manufacture of customised substation, DCB, maingate and tailgate CME and CMU solutions as an integrated electrical package. Recently delivered projects in the QLD region include full longwall systems for Broadmeadow, Kestrel and Oaky North mines.
- HARD ROCK – Ampcontrol has been supporting QLD and NSW hard rock mining for many years. Botswana’s largest diamond mining project, Majwe Mining, since 2012. From on ground service support through to cable maintenance and electrical field services, we have been on hand to ensure the smooth operation of the electrical distribution equipment to all mechanical shovels and drill rigs on site.
- INFRASTRUCTURE - We built Australia’s first emergency response mobile substation for use on the NSW power utilities network. The 132kV Emergency Response Mobile Substation consists of two road registered Special Purpose Vehicles that can be quickly transported to provide emergency and temporary load support to re-energise the power network in the event of catastrophic failure of onsite equipment. The substation enables a power utility to restore power supply to homes and businesses within 24 - 48 hours of major equipment failures such as transformer, switchgear or cable damage.
- RENEWABLES - Ampcontrol recently completed the mechanical and electrical design, manufacture and integration of 117 power conversion skids for two solar farm projects in NSW. The 117 outdoor electrical skid platforms are identical and house control panels, inverters and a transformer.
- TUNNELLING - Utilising its extensive hire fleet, Ampcontrol is helping to ease congestion and connect communities by powering Sydney’s WestConnex, the largest transport infrastructure project in Australia.Ampcontrol undertook the design, supply and commissioning of a complete electrical system from Ausgrid’s 11kV point of supply, to surface and underground facilities across the new M4 WestConnex tunnelling sites.– Ampcontrol supplied temporary power infrastructure for the 6.7km Brisbane Airport Link. In addition to modular electrical systems and equipment to power the TBM, Ampcontrol also carried out the complete electrical distribution system design, ongoing HV load flow and protection studies, along with commissioning of equipment onsite to ensure correct operation and minimal down time for the project.
- INDUSTRIAL/COMMERCIAL – Ampcontrol member company Austech commissioned a refrigerant leak detection system for a large commercial complex which included a 44 storey tower with cooling plants. The system uses infrared gas detectors which are designed to accurately detect target gases. A unique SCADA system was also designed to connect the refrigerant system with the existing carpark carbon monoxide monitoring system to create a single, comprehensive monitoring station.
Environment Management System
Ampcontrol is committed to pursuing industry specific best practice in environmental performance by undertaking its activities in an environmentally responsible manner and effectively managing any aspects that may lead to an impact on the environment. To support this mission, Ampcontrol has comprehensive WHSEQ policies and systems to ensure that all work is completed safely and to a high standard, maintaining a number of WHSEQ compliances including integration of Environmental Management Systems to ISO 14001.
Ampcontrol maintains a number of network memberships to ensure it is up to date with technology and industry trends which in turn ensures we continue to provide the best solutions to our customers in changing market conditions.
- Australian Water Association and WIOA
- Austmine and Oz METS Hub
- Resource Industry Network – RIN
- Townsville Enterprise
- Bowen Basin Mining Club – BBMC
- MESA – Mining Electrical Safety Association
- Numerous Australian Standards \'EL\' & \'ET\' committees and working group participation
- Numerous \'IEC\' committees and working group participation